Monday, September 30, 2013

Making Apple butter at home...


Ten pounds of apple was curing in my kitchen, if there is such thing as curing for apples after picking. One of the planned project for me this weekend was to make apple butter. I am not a person, usually make these kind of preserves. I faintly remember my mother attempting to make sauces and chutneys but never paid enough attention. Again, my mother has taken classes in cooking so she knew exactly what she was cooking. I am on the other hand reading blogs and attempting to make preserves was a huge success at least for me. Keep in mind along the way I make my own twists to the recipe!

15 medium sized apples (4-5 lbs.)
1.5 quarts sweet cider ( 6 cups)
1.5 lbs sugar (3 cups)
1 tsp each: cinnamon, allspice & cloves
1/4 tsp. nutmeg.
1/3 cup of apple vodka ( I do not know why I decided to add this) It really intensified the flavor. Yes... yes... that is the only reason I add this ingredient!

Select firm, tart cooking apples. Wash and slice; do not remove core, seed or peel.  Add cider and boil 15 minutes or until apples are soft.  Press through sieve.  (You should have about 3 quarts pulp.)  Gently boil the pulp 1 hour or until it begins to thicken, stirring occasionally.  To save time, you can use commercial applesauce instead of making your own apple puree.  Stir in sugar and spices and continue cooking slowly 3 hours or until thickened, stirring frequently.Add Vodka at this time. Pour into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space to seal. Makes 3-5 pints. I did 10 half pints. I used this recipe from here and twisted a bit. 

I am loaded with preserve this year. If we were hit by a random snow storm, I can feed my entire street!

As the clouds were rolling in, I knew I could not do much other than making apple butter. The whole house smelled delectable! I am happy to see my investment in canning utensils were well paid off! 


No comments:

Post a Comment