Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Cultural Influences in Sri Lankan food


I have no idea how a country that indulge many spices have this as a part of its breakfast. Well that leads to believe the other cultural influence in Sri Lankan history such as the Dutch, Portuguese, and the Colonial has made a significant influence. I may not have these in order but at least these are few I can remember with regard to invasions in Sri Lankan history. 

I remember growing up in Sri Lanka, it was a kind of a special treat for me to visit the pastry shops. some are still to this day do exists. I enjoyed having beacon and eggs with tomato sauce in other words ketchup. 

This well known pastry consist of beacon, hard boil eggs, caramelized onions, green chilies (cuban peppers) not too spicy but has a milder chili flavor in this pepper. Arrange all this in a square of a puff pastry. Then bake according to the package directions and eat with ketchup. 

I did make these for my entire family, I had mine with caramelized onions and hard boil eggs. However, some of the pictures are missing of the final product. Because it was all gone before the photo opportunity!

Yes, it was that good!

No comments:

Post a Comment