Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Comfort Food Healthy - Version


Soups on cold winter days days makes my soul and house warm. I enjoy soups vegetable, meaty, watery. thick, chowders and many more. Lately I have been trying to add greens to my soup. You may think why because it is much healthier choice and I want my three year old to have more vegetables. She does not like much greens i am sad about it because I love my greens. 
I love to incorporate kale, swiss chard, chard, mustard green, broccoli, dandelion, leeks, beet tops, and collards. I sometimes go through the painful ways prepare them like the Sri Lankan cooking which takes forever cutting them into tiny pieces. 
In traditional Si Lankan cooking includes a meat, fish,  vegetables and a green (Mal-loon). Which I have always loved my mum can make best (mal-loons). As a kid I always asked for something green for lunch. 
I think this where I got my visual colorful reminders. Sri Lanka food could be very colorful and pact with spices. Living in US has introduce me to many healthy green alternatives. I do love the choices that offers and I am getting use to all the food. 
I love using kale for my soups this is a great way to use greens. Little Nicolette does not care as long as she think she is having her soups. I also wanted to let you know if you want this entire soup to be a vegan meal you can do so by replacing chicken broth with vegetable broth. Omit adding cheese. 
What you need
1 medium carrot diced
2 celery stalks cleaned and diced
1 medium white onion diced
2-3 table spoons olive oil
2 cups chickpeas 
5 cups chicken broth
2 chicken thigh meat (only) seasoned with salt and pepper
1 clove of garlic
5 cups cleaned torn kale bunch do not add the stems
How you make 
Add the olive oil to a medium sized pan. Add the seasoned chicken and brown them until golden in color. Sautéed the onions and garlic when the onions are translucent add the celery and the carrots and cooked for about 3-4 minutes. 
Add the beans and the kale and continue to sauté. When the greens are wilted add the chicken stock, salt and pepper to taste and bring it to boil in a medium high heat. Once it started to boil bring the heat down to low cover and and let it cooked for about 2 hours or until the beans are cooked well. 
Serve warm add grated parmesan cheese and fresh crack pepper to taste and enjoy...
Quote of the day “support medical research” 

No comments:

Post a Comment