Monday, January 5, 2015

Peppermint Bark



This is one of my favorite holiday treat to make. I still remember to this date my very first attempt to make this wonderful treat. I was purely happy with the end result. I had no idea that there was real peppermint essence let along giving it a go. Now I am the proud owner of the essence of peppermint. This bring the holiday cheer right up to my neck of woods. 
My first attempt was merely to make this work and with some experience I have come to admit I have improve how I make my peppermint bark. But to this date I keep it very simple and easy.

6 ounces high quality white chocolate, broken into pieces 
6 ounces high quality semi-sweet chocolate, broken into pieces
1 and 1/2 teaspoons vegetable, coconut, or canola oil
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract, divided
3 candy canes, crushed

Line the bottom and sides of a 9-inch or 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil, smoothing out any wrinkles and set aside. 
Melt the chocolate in a double broiler or in the microwave and add the peppermint essence. Pour the mixture into the baking sheet and level it. I would take about 15 minutes in the refrigerator to set. Then melt the white chocolate and add the peppermint essence and pour over the chocolate. At this time add the crushed candy cane on top. Let it cool may be about 20 minutes and cut them into squares and place them in a container. 


No comments:

Post a Comment