Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Oatmeal made with 3 grains…


I want to post this on my blog for someone who is looking for an alternative for traditional oatmeal. Oatmeal was a staple food at our house but being expose to many meal plans and the number of nutrition classes I have attained I had fun assembling this recipe for my little one. After introducing many grains and paying attention to vitamins and starches I combined this power house grains to make my version of oatmeal.

I have seen my little one flourish on these grains also I have introduced these individually prior to this combination. What’s great about this dish is you can make ahead for couple of days and have it refrigerated. I have stored this in the refrigerator for 3 days but in the freezer up to three weeks (that’s my kind of food which speaks convenience as well as nutritions).

You may want to choose a fruit to make a sauce or if it is very ripe you can simply cut them into small pieces to blend with this meal. I usually go for homemade apple sauce, pear puree, peach, or nectarine there are many choices. You can also make fruit purees with blueberries, blackberries, & raspberries. Our favorite is blueberries way up with antioxidants. I will be lucky if I can get them to blend in order to make the puree usually it ends up in the stomach before it makes its journey to the blender but I don’t care as long as it get digested in some ones stomach…

What you need… equipments a coffee grinder…

Ingredients
¼ cup barley
¼ cup millet
¼ cup buckwheat
3 cups water
Pinch of salt (preferably kosher)
¼ teaspoon of ground cinnamon

Method
Powder the grains in a coffee grinder to your preference (if your child likes texture pulse once or twice)
If your child likes food pureed you may want to pulse it 4-5 times you can always check. Let the water boil in a medium high heat then slowly whisk in the powdered grains. While whisking, lower the heat. Continue to whisk until there is no lumps, add cinnamon and salt and cover it to simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
When it is done you can add your choice of fruit puree to sweeten or simply server with cut up fruits and watch out for colorful bibs with new designs.

Enjoy!

Quote of the day “live in detail”

No comments:

Post a Comment