Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Antioxidants & Blueberries…


As everyone knows the brain fruit for babies, kids as well as adults are blueberries. This is a well know fact. I enjoyed the liberty of introducing this fruit to my little one. When she was a baby around 7- 8 months as a very simple homemade sauce. When she was introduced to fruits it was summer there was an abundance of fruits. All I did was puréed blue berries in a food processor until smooth and cooked/heated it for 3-5 minutes and pushed the puree through a fine sieve to take off the small pieces or the skin. I poured it to ice cube trays and freezed it for up to 3 months. My little one loved it after that during Fall and Winter I would offer it to her as it is. She loved it and a great size for her little fingers to pick up and eat when placed in a bowl or on the feeding tray. Great eye hand coordination activity for babies…

Now that she enjoys the bake goodies I baked blueberry muffins for her it was a hit. I purchased a big muffin tray so we can have big muffins and she loved it. I also don’t forget to do the mini muffins. She would gulp about 4-6 in one sitting. I forgot to add the fancy sugar but who cares she didn’t notice it she simply enjoyed it.
Hint for making this yummy treat which I adapted from the William & Sonoma test kitchen is to mix in the blueberries at the very end especially if you are using frozen berries. Because that’s; what I used but didn’t mix them until the end...

If someone wants to bake this delicious treat for a special person here is the link

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/big-blueberry-muffins.html

please try and enjoy… because you know you are making something good for you and the loved ones.

Blueberries are sweet and delicious and one of natures’ super foods, loaded with disease- fighting antioxidants and vitamins also dark cherries share similar profiles but neither is related more allergenic berries such as raspberries and strawberries so they can be introduced earlier into your baby’s diet.

Quote of the day “teach children to take a moment alone when they need it”

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment