Monday, January 30, 2012

Fish Stew

I LOVE eating fish. I wanted to say I grew up eating fish in Sri Lanka since it is a small island we had an abundance of fish. However, we did not eat shellfish much. No clams, mussels, and lobsters. I have started to incorporate shell fish into out diet not that long ago. I now love them. I do enjoy the mussels and the little neck which is always readily available local markets. I also find this a great way to incorporate minerals into our diet. 
I have posted on clam chowder and then on seafood pasta now I am into fish stew.
This is a great way to cook all your seafood together. I found this great Portuguese recipe on making fish stew. This has so much taste and the broth was infused with robust flavors of herbs like coriander/cilantro, bay leaves, and garlic. (you can use the broth to eat bread or make a completely different meal I will post on that later).
This recipe also calls for Portuguese sausage as well since this was my first time I did follow the recipe but I am not planning to use it next time around. It does add some flavor but the different fish add so much flavor to the stew itself itself.
I did change some in order to be budget friendly as well. 
This is what you need
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons paprika (smoked or sweet)
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 small green bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 pound chorizo sausage
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
2 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 pounds skinless striped bass, cut into 2-inch chunks
1 pound mussels
This is how it is done
Sautéed the sausage with a teaspoon of olive oil and set a side. 
Now add minced garlic, onions, pepper, coriander leaves, bay leaves, and the paprika continued to sautéed on a medium high heat.
Add diced tomato, cover, and let it cook for about 10 minutes so all the flavors will incorporated into the broth. 
Now nestle the fish, sausage, and the shell fish and cook for about another 7 - minutes.
Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm with crusty bread. 
Quote of the day “ cook with someone you love”
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment