Saturday, January 30, 2010

My Sewing History...


Burr… Burr… Burr… this is what I have been hearing recently and I feel like outside weather is in harmony with this sound. My little one is trying hard to understand the language and I have been keeping tabs with all the story times at the book stores and the local libraries. I mean the stay at home mom group is phenomenal can’t believe the amount of mothers who is working hard and keeping up with this story time schedules, I mean they ROCK!

I am gradually working myself to keep up with the schedules I meant to say it is hard sometimes, but I love it. The repetition of the songs, story books, puppets, and the play group is just wonderful. The social interaction with kids and mom is awesome. I am getting the hang of this finally…

Going back to creative hands I want to blog on this project, and write a little bit about my sewing history and quilting experiences… I wanted to say I started watching how the sewing machine work when I was may be 4-5 years old. My aunt was a seamstress. I like watching her sewing. The continuous sound the sewing machine made attracts me, but I really dont know what the reason I just love watching her sew. She always join these little pieces of clothes in lines, now I understand the whole concept she was working in a factory where they were making shirts and she did part of it(shirt) either making pockets or sleeves always a part of it never saw the complete shirt but I enjoy watching it, passing time, sound of the machine, neatness, may be nothing much to do… then at home I venture towards my mom’s sewing machine can’t remember much but she had a manual one. I remember I tried to sew something and my finger got caught it was a painful memory. Later she got a Necchi machine from my dad. Well I had done many things with that machine. My first memory was trying to make pencil cases with many layers of fabrics and breaking it and leaving silently… but she knows who was the culprit…

Not very good at this sewing she enroll me at a dress making school shortly after my school, waiting for results period this was really fun, yes , I did made a dress, actually a couple and wore it and very proud of myself. Move on to higher studies and that was the end of my sewing days…

After I got married, I was introduced to my mother in law, if I sew something and pull from one end the whole piece would unravel apart, hmmm…. That was not a good intro which I was very adamant to change during the course of my life. I was going to school during this time. My mother in law loved quilting and she has taken some classes, I was a very interested in this and she was willing to teach, (I do thank her for teaching this wonderful art) I learned to make a sun glass case, table runner, teapot cover, and some pot holders.

I continue this craft and taught some techniques from books and made many quilts… the very first baby quilt I made for my son I had to give away for a lovely lady who have had help me a lot when I had my son. I made many since then. I love to do hand quilting than machine.

Anyway this project ( on the picture) I started when I was expecting my daughter with flannel now that she is growing out of her baby blankets which leaves me with no choice of a dead line I need to get it done. Since I have the top done I need to add batting and finish it which I planned to finish soon.

So this is the quilting side of me… I hope you enjoy reading this…

No comments:

Post a Comment