Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Summer 2016 Gardening


I always planned this somewhere in January. Yes, I think that is where the itch of planning the garden starts. I know by March I am looking for potted plants. I guess it is a gardening thing you can say. I was unsuccessful this spring planting beans. Out of all plants green beans, that is how I embarked into 2016 gardening. I planted about three to four packages of green and wax beans and still have not harvested nor cooked a single green bean from our garden. 

This year I dug out few plants from my compost and as usual, they were wines. At first with no clue what they are going to be I nursed them with love and care and off I went to hurt myself to another country. 

Later found out of three wines I have planted, they have been producing butternut squash. We have harvested total of five squashes and shared them with neighbors, co-workers, and there is still more to harvest.  

Kale seems to be doing great this year, our first crop of broccoli was delicious with stir-fried pork. The children and the husband loved it! I have been gathering kale, beet tops, Swiss chard, and New-Zealand spinach often this summer. We also pulled a couple of beets, picked few cucumbers. 

Our Garlic harvest was tiny, but individual bulbs were fleshy. We also add another raised bed to our small backyard, and I planted eight eggplants. Out of eight four are Italian while other an Asian variety. So we have been blessed with eggplants. As of chillies, I planted four plants of green peppers and this summer I have not bought green chillies to cook! There is also this unlimited supply of herbs such as; sage, thyme, flat parsley, basil, fennel, cilantro, and mint. 

The tomatoes have been the queen of the crop this season; I think mainly to the lack of rain and the heat they have been just producing pounds and pounds of tomatoes. I want to say I have harvested more than fifty and made sauces out of it. Chickens are laying but not on a regular basis, but we have had eight eggs few days this summer, and we are not complaining. 

No comments:

Post a Comment